- A little olive oil (for cooking the mushrooms)
- 1 (10 oz) package fresh spinach (I use the baby ones) — about 284 grams
- 4 eggs (if the yolks are quite small I use 5 eggs)
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I use mozzarella or the Italian Blend)
- 1 (8 oz package) mini-bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp, heavy cream or half-and-half (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- *Variation – If you don’t fancy mushrooms, try asparagus or bell peppers with the spinach. Also, add some onions to the mix. I add some when I do not use mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a little oil in a large skillet. Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the spinach in a deep pan or in the skillet that you used for the mushrooms. Add a little water, 1/4 cup should do it. Using medium heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, about 3-4 mins. Use either your hand or a spatula to pack in the spinach. Drain the excess water really well (especially if you decide to use frozen spinach instead).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Add the cooked mushrooms, spinach, cheeses and cream (if using) to the eggs. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Divide evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes, or until it’s well set, and a tester/toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition per serving: 82 calories, 6 grams fat, 2 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams protein